By Maya Harris, consultant urologist, the Birmingham Prostate Clinic As a nation, we are all bracing ourselves during the current lockdown due to COVID-19 emergency. In this difficult time, every trip to outside is a risky business, especially for those aged 70 and above people who have underlying conditions. However, life does not stop, and […]Read more
Advice to BPC patients regarding Coronavirus
April 9th 2020
We are following guidance from the Department of Health, Public Health England to ensure you are kept safe and to support the response to COVID-19. We continue to provide remote consultations and we can arrange diagnostic tests and procedures for urgent clinical need (such as prostate cancer mapping biopsies, MRI scans and clinical support for patients with catheters). If current or new patients would like to contact us, we can discuss the options for safely supporting you with any urological difficulties during the current COVID-19 situation. We are open and continue to operate our services, including video and telephone consultations with our team of consultants and nurse specialists.
Inside the MDT
Meet the Birmingham Prostate Clinic’s multi-disciplinary team and see why their role is so important.
How do you choose treatment for the enlarged prostate?
Our specialists discuss GreenLight laser, UroLift and Rezum.
Read our patients’ experience of prostate cancer, BPH and bladder problems: the treatment they chose, their experience and advice. See all our patient viewpoints here.
- We have undertaken one of the largest prostatectomy caseloads in the UK, having performed more than 3000 operations.
- We have a unique, award-winning online results centre, allowing patients to track and compare their recovery progress.
- Our surgeon Mr Alan Doherty has twice been voted one of the top ten prostate cancer surgeons in consecutive Daily Mail polls of urologists.
- Our surgeon Mr Paul Anderson is regularly featured on Channel Four’s Live from the Clinic and Embarrassing Bodies.
- See our consultants in national television documentaries and describing the treatments we offer in our films section
By Alan Doherty, consultant urologist, the Birmingham Prostate Clinic Something I consistently hear from both patients and GPs is the notion that the PSA test is a ‘bad’ test. I understand the basis of this: the measurement of the Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) within the blood and a higher than expected level of PSA is […]Read more
What are the latest advances in radiotherapy? Consultant Clinical Oncologist Dan Ford assesses key news from the American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Meeting 2019. What was the major talking point? The recent meeting of ASTRO in Chicago acknowledged and showcased the recent advances in the field of radiotherapy and other areas of disease […]Read more