By Alan Doherty, consultant urologist, BPC In prostate cancer, the biggest step changes in recent years have been in the way we assess disease. At the Birmingham Prostate Clinic, we were early adopters of what is now widely accepted as best practice: MRI before biopsy to decide whether a biopsy is required and as a […]Read more
Advice to BPC patients regarding Coronavirus
April 9th 2020
We are following guidance from the Department of Health, Public Health England to ensure you are kept safe and to support the response to COVID-19. We continue to provide remote consultations and we can arrange diagnostic tests and procedures for urgent clinical need (such as prostate cancer mapping biopsies, MRI scans and clinical support for patients with catheters). If current or new patients would like to contact us, we can discuss the options for safely supporting you with any urological difficulties during the current COVID-19 situation. We are open and continue to operate our services, including video and telephone consultations with our team of consultants and nurse specialists.
Inside the MDT
Meet the Birmingham Prostate Clinic’s multi-disciplinary team and see why their role is so important.
How do you choose treatment for the enlarged prostate?
Our specialists discuss GreenLight laser, UroLift and Rezum.
BPC’s Alan Doherty in conversation with Clare Delmar to discuss current thinking about focal therapy.
What do patients’ want? BPC’s Alan Doherty reflects on what he has learnt about the patient perspective.
Read our patients’ experience of prostate cancer, BPH and bladder problems: the treatment they chose, their experience and advice. See all our patient viewpoints here.
- We have undertaken one of the largest prostatectomy caseloads in the UK, having performed more than 3000 operations.
- We have a unique, award-winning online results centre, allowing patients to track and compare their recovery progress.
- Our surgeon Mr Alan Doherty has twice been voted one of the top ten prostate cancer surgeons in consecutive Daily Mail polls of urologists.
- Our surgeon Mr Paul Anderson is regularly featured on Channel Four’s Live from the Clinic and Embarrassing Bodies.
- See our consultants in national television documentaries and describing the treatments we offer in our films section
By Alan Doherty, Consultant Urologist, the Birmingham Prostate Clinic The PSMA PET scan is now very widely accepted as a game changer in the management of recurring prostate cancer. At the Birmingham Prostate Clinic, we had our first experience of this new technology six years ago, when some of our patients chose to travel to […]Read more
By Alan Doherty, consultant urologist, the Birmingham Prostate Clinic As Covid-19 changes our lives in every conceivable way, inevitably, in the field of prostate cancer, we are working through significant change. We are becoming a little more adept with the technicalities of zoom and accustomed to consulting without being able to physically see and examine […]Read more